Buy Property Near Popular School for P1 Registration (3 Tips)
Should you buy property near popular school? Buying a home within 1km to popular primary school for Primary 1 (P1) registration will NOT guarantee your child a place in the school but it will boost your enrolment chances in phase 2B or 2C when the phases are over-subscribed.
Table of Content
- Why Distance Affects School Priority Admission
- What is Parents Volunteer Scheme?
- New or Resale Property
📌1. Why Distance Affects School Priority Admission
- MOE’s P1 registration has 4 phases: 1A, 2A, 2B, 2C.
- Phase 1 and 2A are reserved for children whose siblings or parents are students or former students of the school.
- Phase 2B will include children whose parents are in the school’s volunteer program
- Phase 2C is open to everyone who has not secured a place.
- When balloting is required in any phase, priority is given to Citizens and Permanent Residents who live within 1-2km to school (see table below).
- Buying a home near school will not guarantee you a place in the school.
- It merely increases your chances in phase 2B (if you join the Parents Volunteer Scheme) and 2C
- You can use SchoolFinder to check which properties are within 1-2km of your preferred school.
📌2. What is Parents Volunteer Scheme?
- This scheme gives P1 registration priority to parents who have volunteered in a primary school.
- The schools are free to set their own criteria for admission in this scheme.
- One common requirement is that you must live within 1-2km from the school.
- Parents who are thinking of joining school’s volunteer program will need to plan at least 2 years ahead
- You will have to complete the service hours (usually 40 hours) before your child is due to register for primary school.
- Qualified parents can then register for school admission during phase 2B
- Refer to MOE website for details
📌3. New or Resale Property
- You can register your child for P1 using the address of an uncompleted property you have purchased.
- If you are buying a new property, the new development needs to be completed or obtain Temporary Occupation Permit (T.O.P.) status within 2 years of your child’s primary 1 admission.
- When buying a resale property, you must commit to stay in the resale property from 2 January of the admission year.
- After getting a place in the school, your child must stay at the new address for at least 30 months
Like this “Buy Property Near Popular School” Article or Video?
Check out more Condo Tips here
Don't pay 1-2% agent fees when you can pay a fixed reasonable price. Try our services risk-free. Pay the fixed price after the sale of your home. No exclusive contract is required, so you can switch if you are unsatisfied with our services.
Connect With Us
This article will elaborate on the hybrid method, which will help you upgrade from HDB to condo without ABSD and the hassle of having to move twiceRead More
There are different views regarding the use of CPF for property mortgage because of CPF accrued interest. When is it better to use more CPF and when is it not?Read More
Should you keep HDB and buy condo? A common dilemma for HDB upgraders who wants the passive rental income from renting out their flat but do not wish to pay ABSDRead More
Many HDB owners share the common aspirations to upgrade from HDB to condo after completing their Minimum Occupation Period (MOP). Below are 4 common mistakes to avoid when upgradingRead More
"Dennis came with strong recommendations from a dear friend. He helped me with the purchase of my first property. He was very patient and never once tried to hard sell me to buy a property. Dennis is a trustworthy and knowledgeable professional who I highly recommend with confidence to everyone I know!"
"Dennis was very helpful and has guided us throughout on the process. He managed to get good number of clients for viewing of our unit. He is very responsive and always readily available when needed. He has excellent negotiation skills as well when required for the deal"