How to Spot an Undervalued Property (Condo)
You will need lots of effort and a little luck to spot an undervalued property because such rare deals will usually be quickly taken off the market by discerning investors. Below are 3 tips to help you spot an undervalued property in Singapore
Table of Content
- Post-Launch New Condo
- New Launch Vs Resale Condo Gap
- Buy Early into GLS Vicinity
📌 1. Post-Launch New Condo
- Newly launched condos always get all the attention and hype because of all the publiciity
- However, you may get some real bargains if you look deep into post-launch new condos.
- After the official launch is over, many show flats will remain open to sell the remaining units.
- When sales are slower than expected in these post-launch new condos, developers will introduce promotions to bring in the crowd.
- You have to be on the constant lookout for these “Time Sensitive” promotions.
- Some promotions may seem like marketing gimmicks but there will also be good deals.
- For example, developer’s “One-Price-Promotion” for all available units in the same stack is an enticing offer to me
- The first movers who grabbed the highest floor will have gotten a bargain over the lower floor buyers.
- Post-launch condos near their ABSD deadline are also another source of undervalued properties.
- See my list of new launch condo with ABSD Deadlines,“ABSD Deadline for Developers: How you can Benefit from these Remaining Unsold Units”
📌 2. New Launch Vs Resale Condo Gap
- As the costs of land increase, new launch prices are expected to rise in tandem.
- When there are more new launches in your area with record setting prices, it will bring up the average per square foot (PSF) prices
- When the price gap between the New and Resale condo widens, buyers will shift their attention to the resale market.
- Savvy buyers will be among the first to spot the gap and enter the secondar market early.
- Take for example the recent land sales for an Executive Condo (EC) Site in Tengah.
- The expected launch prices are estimated to be between $1,190 to $1,250 psf.
- EC prices are supposed to be much cheaper (as much as up to 20%) than a private condo.
- As such, this Tengah New EC will likely set the new baseline for future private condos nearby
📌 3. Buy Early into GLS Vicinity
- There is another less-known way to spot an undervalued property way ahead of others.
- Besides tracking the price gap between new vs resale Condo, you can also monitor the Government Land Sales (GLS) programme
- Every six months, the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) announces a list of land sites for sale, known as the GLS Programme.
- Every potential private home buyer should pay attention whenever URA announces the successful tender of these sites on the GLS list
- After every successful tender, the developer will take at least 1 year to plan their project
- Many property portal sites will also try to estimate the estimated launch prices based on the winning bid by the developers.
- These estimated prices are good references for future prices in the vicinity when the project is ready for launch in 1-2 years.
- When you notice a significant price gap between this future new launch and nearby resale condos, you may want to consider buying early into that area.
- You will see a surge in demand for nearby resale condos after every successful new launch.
- Why not have an unfair advantage and get a head start?
- The above works for en bloc sites as well
Like this Article or Video?
Check out more Condo Tips here
Looking for new properties?
Talk to our experts from Property Den to get more insights regarding the cash flow and capital gain of your property investments!
Connect With Us
Condo Buying Guide! We’ll discuss various scenarios and provide expert recommendations based on factors like Property Type, Ownership Duration, QuantumRead More
Planning to buy a condo? how to select the best condo unit? Should you avoid low floor and units with no views? Is 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom better?Read More
"Dennis came with strong recommendations from a dear friend. He helped me with the purchase of my first property. He was very patient and never once tried to hard sell me to buy a property. Dennis is a trustworthy and knowledgeable professional who I highly recommend with confidence to everyone I know!"
"Dennis was very helpful and has guided us throughout on the process. He managed to get good number of clients for viewing of our unit. He is very responsive and always readily available when needed. He has excellent negotiation skills as well when required for the deal"